A new support item called the psychosocial recovery coach has been developed in response to feedback on integrating recovery-oriented practice within the NDIS.
What do recovery coaches do?
Recovery coaches provide support to people with psychosocial disability to live a full and contributing life. People will be assisted to take more control of their lives and to better manage complex challenges of day to day living.
Recovery coaches assist people to build capacity, including strengths and resilience. They work collaboratively with individuals, families, carers and supports to design, plan and implement (and adjust) a recovery plan.
They collaborate with the broader service system and assist with NDIS coordination and other supports.
How do the recovery coaches work?
The work of recovery coaches, underpinned by recovery-oriented practice, will be informed by:
- Australian Health Ministers' Advisory Council's National framework for recovery-oriented mental health services.
- The National Disability Insurance Scheme Act 2013.
- NDIS Quality and Safeguards Commission requirements, including the NDIS Code of Conduct.
- A new NDIS National Framework for Recovery-oriented Phsychosocial Disability Services, which will be released in 2021. This new framework will be developed in consultation with people with psychosocial disability, their families, carers, service providers and State and Territory Governments.
What can recovery coaches offer to participants?
Recovery coaches bring specialist knowledge and skills in psychosocial recovery, mental health and service navigation within the mental health system.
- Support with recovery planning.
- Collaboration with broader system of supports.
- Support to grow engagement with the NDIS.
- Coaching to increase recovery skills and personal capacity.
For more information, please click here.
To become a care or support worker, please visit www.careseekers.com.au/carer
To find aged care services, please visit www.careseekers.com.au/services/aged-care-workers
To find disability support services, please visit www.careseekers.com.au/services/disability-support-workers