It is completely normal to be having feelings of anxiety and distress during this unprecedented time. Whether you are in self-isolation or choosing to adopt social distancing measures, it is important to keep a positive outlook and good mental health. Beyond Blue has some wonderful strategies to combat the negative atmosphere and they include:
- Access good quality and credible information. This will assist in maintaining perspective.
- Try to find a healthy balance in relation to media coverage.
- Try to maintain a practical and calm approach.
- Observe good hygiene practices.
- Stay connected with friends, family and colleagues via email, social media, video conferencing or phone.
- Engage in healthy activities that you enjoy and find relaxing.
- Where possible try to maintain physical activity.
- Keep your regular sleep routines and healthy eating patterns.
- Remember that your efforts in staying home are helping others in the wider community.
- Avoid social media if you are finding it too distressing. Only check in on the news once a day.
Seek Support If You Need It
Beyond Blue has a dedicated page on its forums about coping during the coronavirus outbreak, click here to access it.
To become a care or support worker, please visit www.careseekers.com.au/carer
To find aged care services, please visit https://www.careseekers.com.au/services/aged-care-workers
To find disability support services, please visit https://www.careseekers.com.au/services/disability-support-workers