Do you need an ABN?

Many Care Seekers elect to use contractors (independent operators, individuals or sole traders) to provide in-home care services, in place of employing people directly. The benefit to these families of selecting this type of relationship is increased flexibility and reduced administrative workload at, what can sometimes be, a very stressful time.

As a care worker, to be eligible to apply for such positions, it is important to supply a tax invoice to these families for services rendered, which you can do through our CarePay system. This invoice must detail your ABN number. If you don’t have an ABN, here is some information on how to apply.

How to get your ABN?

Applying for an ABN is free, you simply need to address some eligibility criteria. You can apply through the Australian Business Register (ABR) at

You will be asked the following:

  • Evidence of identity (proof of identity).
  • Whether you currently have or previously held an ABN for the entity you are applying for.
  • If you have a tax agent, supplying their contact information on your application will enable them to undertake work on your behalf.
  • The legal name of an entity, as the name that appears on all official documents or legal papers.
  • Tax File Number.
  • The details of your business location/s.
  • An authorised contact, who must be able to deal with any issues relating to the business or organisation regarding its ABN.
  • Whether you have any associates; their details must be provided.
  • Your main business activity, which is usually the activity that is the main source of income for your business or organisation.
  • The ABN will not be issued until the date you specify.
  • Before submitting your application you will be required to complete a declaration stating that the information you have provided is true and correct.

Please note, you do not need an ABN if you are an employee. Having an ABN however opens up more job opportunities for you within your area.Please also be aware, if don’t trade under your name as a sole trader, you will need to register your company name with ASIC on their business names register. Further information can be found at

To become a care or support worker, please visit

To find aged care services, please visit

To find disability support services, please visit