What Services Can You Access If Ineligible For NDIS Funding?

Navigating the landscape of support services when you're ineligible for National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) funding can be challenging. The NDIS provides vital support for many, but when it deems certain supports not "reasonable and necessary" (R&N), individuals are left to find alternatives.

Here we look at some alternative services if you find yourself without access to NDIS funding for support and services.

1. Continence Aids
For individuals whose incontinence is not considered directly related to their primary disability, alternative support is available:

EnableNSW: Continence Aids Payment Scheme (CAPS)
CAPS provides payments to assist eligible people with severe and permanent incontinence to cover some costs of their continence products. This scheme offers greater choice and flexibility, allowing clients to purchase appropriate continence products from the supplier of their choice.
Learn more about CAPS here.

2. Housing Transition Supports, Home Modifications, and More
For young people with high physical support needs:

Youngcare’s Home Support Grant
This grant aids in moving from inappropriate housing, such as aged care or hospitals, into more suitable accommodations. It covers essential disability equipment, home modifications, and necessary household items.
Find out about Youngcare’s Home Support Grant

Youngcare’s At Home Care Grants (AHCG)
AHCG provides one-off funding of up to $10,000 for equipment, home modifications, and essential support not covered by other means. It's aimed at enhancing the quality of life for those with high physical care needs who prefer to live at home.
Learn more about At Home Care Grants

3. Respiratory Equipment (e.g., CPAP, Oxygen Concentrators)
When NDIS does not cover respiratory equipment due to non-disability-related conditions:

EnableNSW: Home Respiratory Program (HRP)
HRP provides respiratory equipment to manage conditions and maintain independence at home. Eligibility includes NSW residency, Medicare enrollment, and the absence of coverage through other government-funded programs.
Explore the Home Respiratory Program

4. Mobility Equipment (Scooters, Walkers)
When mobility aids are needed for conditions not directly resulting from a primary disability:

EnableNSW: Equipment Allocation Program (EAP)
EAP offers a variety of self-care and mobility equipment statewide, including scooters and walkers, which are adjusted or equipped with additional accessories as needed.
Read more about the Equipment Allocation Program

5. Financial Assistance for Travel & Accommodation (Medical Treatment)
For those needing to travel for specialized health treatment:

Isolated Patients Travel and Accommodation Assistance Scheme (IPTAAS)
IPTAAS provides financial support from the NSW Government for travel and accommodation costs associated with distant specialized health treatments. Eligibility criteria include NSW residency, Medicare enrollment, and traveling at least 100km one way.
Discover more about IPTAAS

Navigating support systems without NDIS funding can seem like a huge challenge, but remember, there are many programs specifically designed to help manage everything from incontinence and home modifications to respiratory health and mobility needs. These accessible solutions are here to support a journey toward a better quality of life.

How Can Careseekers Help?

If you need aged care or disability support, the workers on the Careseekers platform are available to everyone. Connect with Careseekers today and find amazing aged care and disability support workers that match your needs, requirements, languages and interests.

To find disability support services, please visit www.careseekers.com.au/services/disability-support-workers

To find aged care services, please visit www.careseekers.com.au/services/aged-care-workers

To become a care or support worker, please visit www.careseekers.com.au/carer

To make a referral, please visit https://www.careseekers.com.au/referrals